I am excited for this first of MANY updates. Tuesday, February 28th, 2018 marked four weeks practicing the keto lifestyle. Let me tell you, It feels great! It is actually hard for me to believe that it has been a month already. I have learned so much in this one month, and not just about what is ‘keto’ and what isn’t keto. I have learned a lot about myself and my tenacity as a person. Its amazing to be at this point, and I am so happy to share my keto diet results, one month update & tips with you!
So, the big question is… how did it go? Well, I would say that everything went remarkably well. Actually it went better than I could have ever imagined. My husband said he would try keto on a trial basis for two weeks. About 3/4 of the way through the first week, he was cleaning all of the unhealthy items out of our cupboard and giving them away to his friends. That is a major win in my book.
Did I cheat? The answer is NO! I did not cheat, and better yet, I did not even THINK of cheating!! This is the single thing that makes me the most proud! Let me tell you, I have never once in my entire life gone an entire month with so much self control when it comes to the food I eat. This time it wasn’t even hard. I didn’t have too many cravings, especially after the first week that I detoxed off of carbs. This is a really big deal, because I am constantly surrounded candy, cookies, cakes, donuts etc at my workplace. It honestly doesn’t even look that good to me anymore, thankfully!
Well, how much weight did I lose so far? This is maybe the most exciting thing of all! I lost 18.4 pounds in 28 days! Let me hear a Woohooo!!! The first three weeks I lost 5 pounds each week and the fourth week, I lost 3.4 pounds.
They always say that it takes a month to form a habit, and I would say that it seems really accurate in this case. My mindset has shifted, and I am definitely in the habit of picking healthy options. Breaking my streak of eating keto isn’t even an option to me. I learned a few things, and I am sharing some of those tips with you below.Keep it simple. Your meals don't have to be fancy.Click To Tweet
Tips for Success
1. Clean out your fridge, and rid your household of unhealthy foods. (If you can.) I realize this is not always possible especially if you are in a household where not everyone is practicing the keto lifestyle. I recommend you minimize temptations however you can, if that is the case.
2. Stock up on keto friendly foods. You want to make sure you have enough food for at least a week of eating Keto. Not sure what you should buy? Check out my basic keto grocery list that will help you get started.
3. Plan ahead. When you are going out and about, make sure to bring your water bottle and some snacks. That way when you get hungry on the go, you won’t be tempted to cheat.
4. Eat when you are hungry, not when you are bored. This was a huge one for me. I was known to graze quite a bit. Listen to your body & when you are hungry, eat. If you find yourself heading to the fridge, but are not that hungry. Try drinking water instead.
5. Keep it simple. Your meals don’t have to be fancy. Eggs with bacon for breakfast. Chicken with broccoli and butter, cheese and meats for snacks, etc
6. When you cook, make enough for leftovers. Making meals from scratch takes a little more time, especially for those of us that are used to frequent take out. (Ummmm guilty!) Make your cooking efforts worthwhile by making plenty for leftovers. I am serving two people and try to make 4-6 servings so we have enough for work the next day or supper if we have a hectic day.
7. Track your daily food intake. Download an app such as my fitness pal or cronometer (my fav) and input all of your intake daily. It is especially helpful as you are starting out to figure out serving sizes and nutritional information. To figure out your macros (how many grams of fat, protein and carbs ) you should have in a day, use my keto calculator.
I hope my update and tips help you get started on the keto diet. I cannot wait to see YOUR results!! Want to hang with some like minded people? Join my Keto Support Group!