Whoa!! I cannot believe that it has been 6 weeks since I started this awesome keto adventure. That means that it’s time for another update! I actually am starting to see a change, which feels absolutely fantastic! My husband has also been doing this with me and we have now lost over 20 pounds each! I have lost 23.6 pounds to be exact! WOW! It feels absolutely fantastic. So here it is, my keto diet update.
This week was a little bit more disappointing of a weight loss as I only lost one pound. I keep telling myself that one pound is still AMAZING! After all, if you only lost one pound per week, in one year that would be 52 pounds!! You certainly can’t scoff at that!
I do have to evaluate how I am doing things, so that I can maximize my results. I think perhaps that I was getting a little bit too confident, and this week I am going to be more conscientious of what I am doing it and why I am doing it. Here is a recap of some of my choices.
- Ice cream. Just say no! I ate Halo Top ice cream MULTIPLE times this week. I hadn’t eaten it before, and SUGAR is on the list of ingredients. It is pretty low in carbs, but still I don’t think that I should be eating this delicious, naughty treat on a regular basis. I am cutting myself off! Ice cream is a BIG problem for me. I didn’t really over eat it or eat it too often, but I did hoard it. That’s kind of embarrassing, but I did buy 4 tubs of my favorite hard-to-find seasonal ice cream just a few short months ago. I don’t want to fall down that rabbit hole again.
- Alcohol, You don’t need it! I drank maybe a little more alcohol than I should have this week. Before this weekend, I had only had a beer here or there. This weekend though, I had four beers on two separate occasions. I really watch my carbs, so I didn’t go over 20g in a day, but I certainly ate more carbs that I am used to, since each beer has about 2.5 carbs. Going forward, I will not be indulging in as much beer.
- Exercise. If it doesn’t kill you, it makes you stronger, right? RIGHT!? I started exercising this week! You can see the takeaways from my first workout here. It was traumatic to say the least. I have since exercised 3 times, and I think it is maybe getting a tiny bit easier. The biggest challenge is sticking to it, especially when my legs are so sore that I can barely walk!
- Meal Prep. It is more work up front, then smooth sailing the rest of the week. I actually meal prepped!! Sunday night I did some super simple meal prepping. I baked up some chicken and made broccoli. We will use these for lunches for work during the week. I am gong to work on a post about basic meal prepping, because I really think it is invaluable in keto!
How can you get started? These are the steps I used:
- Figure out your ‘macros’ using this keto calculator. This is how much protein, fat and carbs to eat.
- Clean out your cupboard, fridge, freezer, lunchbox whatever! Get rid of all your junky, carby food. You will be eating whole, healthy foods.
- Go grocery shopping & buy whole foods and ingredients. Avoid prepackaged foods. Don’t know where to start? Use this basic keto grocery list. Subscribe to get a super pretty grocery list printable!
- If you wish to make things more than basic chicken and broccoli etc, you can find some keto pinspiration here.
- Weigh and measure yourself plus take some before photos. Front and side photos work the best! You will be happy you did it later!
- Get Started!
It really is that easy! You will certainly learn as you go, but this is all you really need to get started. I always think of it this way… Every step is one step you weren’t taking before. You will stumble sometimes, but that is ok! Just KEEP GOING!!!You will stumble sometimes, but that is ok! Just KEEP GOING!!!Click To Tweet
I have been a little self conscious to share my progress photos, but I am really feeling pretty good about my progress today, so here they are!! I also want to see your progress photos, so make sure to tag me on instagram @candidly.keto & use the hashtag #candidlyketo !! If you want some like minded friends, come on over and join us in my Keto Support Group!