Whoa!! I cannot believe that it has been 6 weeks since I started this awesome keto adventure. That means that it’s time for another update! I actually am starting to see a change, which feels absolutely fantastic! My husband has also been doing this with me and we have now lost over 20 pounds each! I have lost 23.6 pounds to be exact! WOW! It feels absolutely fantastic. So here it is, my keto diet update.
This week was a little bit more disappointing of a weight loss as I only lost one pound. I keep telling myself that one pound is still AMAZING! After all, if you only lost one pound per week, in one year that would be 52 pounds!! You certainly can’t scoff at that!
I do have to evaluate how I am doing things, so that I can maximize my results. I think perhaps that I was getting a little bit too confident, and this week I am going to be more conscientious of what I am doing it and why I am doing it. Here is a recap of some of my choices.
- Ice cream. Just say no! I ate Halo Top ice cream MULTIPLE times this week. I hadn’t eaten it before, and SUGAR is on the list of ingredients. It is pretty low in carbs, but still I don’t think that I should be eating this delicious, naughty treat on a regular basis. I am cutting myself off! Ice cream is a BIG problem for me. I didn’t really over eat it or eat it too often, but I did hoard it. That’s kind of embarrassing, but I did buy 4 tubs of my favorite hard-to-find seasonal ice cream just a few short months ago. I don’t want to fall down that rabbit hole again.
- Alcohol, You don’t need it! I drank maybe a little more alcohol than I should have this week. Before this weekend, I had only had a beer here or there. This weekend though, I had four beers on two separate occasions. I really watch my carbs, so I didn’t go over 20g in a day, but I certainly ate more carbs that I am used to, since each beer has about 2.5 carbs. Going forward, I will not be indulging in as much beer.
- Exercise. If it doesn’t kill you, it makes you stronger, right? RIGHT!? I started exercising this week! You can see the takeaways from my first workout here. It was traumatic to say the least. I have since exercised 3 times, and I think it is maybe getting a tiny bit easier. The biggest challenge is sticking to it, especially when my legs are so sore that I can barely walk!
- Meal Prep. It is more work up front, then smooth sailing the rest of the week. I actually meal prepped!! Sunday night I did some super simple meal prepping. I baked up some chicken and made broccoli. We will use these for lunches for work during the week. I am gong to work on a post about basic meal prepping, because I really think it is invaluable in keto!
How can you get started? These are the steps I used:
- Figure out your ‘macros’ using this keto calculator. This is how much protein, fat and carbs to eat.
- Clean out your cupboard, fridge, freezer, lunchbox whatever! Get rid of all your junky, carby food. You will be eating whole, healthy foods.
- Go grocery shopping & buy whole foods and ingredients. Avoid prepackaged foods. Don’t know where to start? Use this basic keto grocery list. Subscribe to get a super pretty grocery list printable!
- If you wish to make things more than basic chicken and broccoli etc, you can find some keto pinspiration here.
- Weigh and measure yourself plus take some before photos. Front and side photos work the best! You will be happy you did it later!
- Get Started!
It really is that easy! You will certainly learn as you go, but this is all you really need to get started. I always think of it this way… Every step is one step you weren’t taking before. You will stumble sometimes, but that is ok! Just KEEP GOING!!!You will stumble sometimes, but that is ok! Just KEEP GOING!!!Click To Tweet
I have been a little self conscious to share my progress photos, but I am really feeling pretty good about my progress today, so here they are!! I also want to see your progress photos, so make sure to tag me on instagram @candidly.keto & use the hashtag #candidlyketo !! If you want some like minded friends, come on over and join us in my Keto Support Group!
This post contains affiliate links, see my full disclosure here.
As you are starting out on the ketogenic diet, it can be really difficult to know exactly what you should be buying at the store. I know I did a ton of research before I started this way of eating, and even then my first trip to the grocery store was close to three hours long. OMG! Ain’t nobody got time for that! I put together this basic keto grocery list, to make your life a little easier.
Let me first say, this keto grocery list isn’t all inclusive. There are plenty of items that are ‘keto friendly’ that are not on this list, but these are the basic items that I buy on the regular. The fats and some of the extras were one time purchases or rarely purchased because they last a long time. Items such as almond flour, nuts, coconut oil are some of the more costly items. If budget is a concern, I would space out those more spendy purchases over several weeks.
Each week I usually purchase 2-3 types of meat and 4-5 vegetables from this list. I also use a fair amount of cheese, cream cheese and butter. Surprisingly enough, my trips to the grocery store have been a lot more reasonable than my junk food filled pre keto trips!Get started on keto with this basic keto grocery list! Click To Tweet
- Chicken: Breasts, Thighs, Wings, Rotisserie
- Beef: Ground Beef, Roasts, Steaks
- Pork: Chops, Ground Pork, Bacon, Sausage, Loin
- Fish: Cod, Salmon, Haddock, Tuna
- Brussel Sprouts
- Egg Plant
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Cream Cheese
- Cheese: Swiss, Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Farmers, Mozzarella, etc
- Cottage Cheese
- Sour Cream
Fruits & Berries:
- Black Olives
- Green Olives
- Organic Tomatoes (Organic Bella Terra Fire Roasted are my fav)
- Almond Flour
- Coconut Flour (if choosing one I would pick Almond)
- Almond Butter (no sugar added. Ingredients should be almonds and salt only)
- Raw Cocoa Powder
- Unsweetened Nut Milk
- Macadamia Nuts
- Brazil Nuts
- Hot Sauce
Want to get this grocery list in a pretty downloadable PDF? Subscribe below! Starting keto and want to immerse yourself in a community of like minded people? Join my Keto Support Group!
I am excited for this first of MANY updates. Tuesday, February 28th, 2018 marked four weeks practicing the keto lifestyle. Let me tell you, It feels great! It is actually hard for me to believe that it has been a month already. I have learned so much in this one month, and not just about what is ‘keto’ and what isn’t keto. I have learned a lot about myself and my tenacity as a person. Its amazing to be at this point, and I am so happy to share my keto diet results, one month update & tips with you!
So, the big question is… how did it go? Well, I would say that everything went remarkably well. Actually it went better than I could have ever imagined. My husband said he would try keto on a trial basis for two weeks. About 3/4 of the way through the first week, he was cleaning all of the unhealthy items out of our cupboard and giving them away to his friends. That is a major win in my book.
Did I cheat? The answer is NO! I did not cheat, and better yet, I did not even THINK of cheating!! This is the single thing that makes me the most proud! Let me tell you, I have never once in my entire life gone an entire month with so much self control when it comes to the food I eat. This time it wasn’t even hard. I didn’t have too many cravings, especially after the first week that I detoxed off of carbs. This is a really big deal, because I am constantly surrounded candy, cookies, cakes, donuts etc at my workplace. It honestly doesn’t even look that good to me anymore, thankfully!
Well, how much weight did I lose so far? This is maybe the most exciting thing of all! I lost 18.4 pounds in 28 days! Let me hear a Woohooo!!! The first three weeks I lost 5 pounds each week and the fourth week, I lost 3.4 pounds.
They always say that it takes a month to form a habit, and I would say that it seems really accurate in this case. My mindset has shifted, and I am definitely in the habit of picking healthy options. Breaking my streak of eating keto isn’t even an option to me. I learned a few things, and I am sharing some of those tips with you below.Keep it simple. Your meals don't have to be fancy.Click To Tweet
Tips for Success
1. Clean out your fridge, and rid your household of unhealthy foods. (If you can.) I realize this is not always possible especially if you are in a household where not everyone is practicing the keto lifestyle. I recommend you minimize temptations however you can, if that is the case.
2. Stock up on keto friendly foods. You want to make sure you have enough food for at least a week of eating Keto. Not sure what you should buy? Check out my basic keto grocery list that will help you get started.
3. Plan ahead. When you are going out and about, make sure to bring your water bottle and some snacks. That way when you get hungry on the go, you won’t be tempted to cheat.
4. Eat when you are hungry, not when you are bored. This was a huge one for me. I was known to graze quite a bit. Listen to your body & when you are hungry, eat. If you find yourself heading to the fridge, but are not that hungry. Try drinking water instead.
5. Keep it simple. Your meals don’t have to be fancy. Eggs with bacon for breakfast. Chicken with broccoli and butter, cheese and meats for snacks, etc
6. When you cook, make enough for leftovers. Making meals from scratch takes a little more time, especially for those of us that are used to frequent take out. (Ummmm guilty!) Make your cooking efforts worthwhile by making plenty for leftovers. I am serving two people and try to make 4-6 servings so we have enough for work the next day or supper if we have a hectic day.
7. Track your daily food intake. Download an app such as my fitness pal or cronometer (my fav) and input all of your intake daily. It is especially helpful as you are starting out to figure out serving sizes and nutritional information. To figure out your macros (how many grams of fat, protein and carbs ) you should have in a day, use my keto calculator.
I hope my update and tips help you get started on the keto diet. I cannot wait to see YOUR results!! Want to hang with some like minded people? Join my Keto Support Group!